“The Ant and the Grasshopper” from Aesop’s Fables. Reading Comprehension (8th Form)
Directions: In this Test you will read a text. The text is followed by 10 tasks. You should do the tasks following a text on the basis of what is stated or implied in that text. For each task you will choose two symbols (+ or -) as specified prior to each task. Mark the symbol of your choice on the Answer Sheet.
Text: From “The Ant and the Grasshopper” from Aesop’s Fables.
While a grasshopper was taking it easy in the shade of a willow tree one on summer’s day, an ant struggled in the sun with a grain of rice that he was carrying out to his nest. “Hey, Mister Ant”, the grasshopper said. “Why don’t you take it easy, like me? You can work tomorrow“.
The grasshopper looked at the ant and laughed. “Cold winter? But Mr. Ant, it is sunny and hot right now. It won’t be winter for a long time. There is always tint, to gather food, there’s no need to spend your time in this beautiful weather doing work. Come sit down with me and have some lemonade”. But the ant refused and spent the rest of the day gathering food and storing it in his nest.
As the days went by the ant continued to collect food, while the grasshopper continued to rest underneath the shade of the willow tree. Three or four months later, winter came and it was very cold. While the ant was snug in his nest, the starving grasshopper shivered under a pile of dead leaves and wished that he’d paid attention to the ant’s advice.
Questions 1 through 10 refer to Text. On your answer sheet circle “+” if the statement is true, “-” if it is false.
- The grasshopper wasn’t working because he had hurt his back.
- The ant gathered food all summer.
- The ant invited the grasshopper to come live with him during the winter.
- The grasshopper was a hard worker.
- The ant took a rest with the grasshopper underneath the willow tree.
- The ant was comfortable during the winter.
- It was easy for the ant to carry food back to his nest.
- The moral of the story is working hard will benefit you more than being lazy.
- The grasshopper was drinking lemonade underneath the willow tree.
- The grasshopper had plenty of food to eat during the winter.