International Women’s Day
It originated as a day of fighting for women’s rights, when on the 8th of March 1897 women (workers of sewing and shoe factories) gathered in New York demanding 10 hour working days, light and dry work places and equal salaries with men.
In 1910 at the International Conference of Women Socialists in Copenhagen, Clara Tsetkin proposed celebrating the International Women’s day on March, 8th which sounded an appeal to all women of the world to join in the struggle for equality.
The International Women’s Day on March 8th has been a State Holiday of the Former Soviet Union since the countries inception. Beginning in 1965 it was recognized as an official day off. The Holiday enjoyed vast celebratory rituals, including public meetings involving officials at various levels of government in an attempt to report the government’s efforts in supporting Women’s Rights and issues concerning them.
Gradually International Women’s day became less political and more personal.
After disintegration of the Soviet Union, March, 8th has remained on the list of State Holidays in nearly all of the CIS countries including Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kirghizia, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia as the “International Women’s Day”.
In Uzbekistan it is referred to as the “Day of Mother”.
In Armenia it is celebrated on April, 7th as the “Day of Motherhood and Beauty”.
Currently in the CIS it is also thought of as the “Day of Spring” and the “Day of all Women”, mothers, grandmothers, sisters, daughters, wives and girlfriends. Unlike Mother’s Day “every” woman expects to receive flowers and gifts.
- What is your mother’s favorite dish?
- What colour dresses does your mother prefer?
- Who is your mother’s favorite movie star?
- What kind of books does your mother like to read mostly?
- What does your mother like to do best in her leisure time?
- How old was your mother when she got married?
- Who has been the greatest influence in your mother’s life?
- What angers your mother most?
- Which is your mother’s dream destination?
- What is your mother most afraid of?
- What is your mother’s star sign?